Monday, June 22, 2015

DTAs

Deeper Thinking Activities (DTAs) are some of my favorite days in the classroom. Through DTAs the students gain a better understanding of the concept being covered in class. Some of our DTAs include The Boston Massacre:CSI, the Industrial Revolution Assembly Line, Lewis & Clark, the Oregon Trail, and our Civil War Museum. 

These DTAs take a lot of time to prepare, but usually end up being the most rewarding days for me as a teacher. I try to have at least one DTA per unit and I try to add one more each year to each unit. 

There have been numerous successes with my DTAs, but I've experienced failures as well. I tried a new DTA this year with the Salem Witchcraft Trials and it did not go well. Through reflections and learning from my mistakes, I'm excited to see how that DTA goes this upcoming school year. 

I enjoy the DTAs because they usually get the students out of the classroom and doing something hands in or with technology. For the upcoming school year I am looking for more DTAs to use because this is a type of learning style where all students can benefit. 

1 comment:

  1. I need to totally rip off DTA...I have been searching for something cool to call what we do that does not have the word project in it :)

    ReplyDelete